Sylvia header

Sylvia header
‘A River Of Milk’, started as an e-zine that turned into this blog of Dutch-English poetry. I, your Laura of milk, am the editor and responsible for most of the translations from Dutch to English. Poetry Books for review can be send to my personal home adress after contacting me by e-mail. Submissions can be send to demelzadreams@posteo.net

maandag 20 februari 2017

Jana Arns - Put Me Together Like A Do It Yourself Kit


Both poems and both pictures can be found in Jana Arns her first book of poetry: 'Status: Het Is Ingewikkeld'. Translation from Dutch to English: Laura Bosma.

Miniature parent


You come to me and almost cough empty.
I soothe you: we all suffer from ourselves,
therefore I am the best of the worst mothers,

a woman who can’t connect
her dots into a drawing.

If I want to play with you?

I count you to sleep until ten
and hide myself behind your eyelid,
in the dollhouse where you never play.

Will you find me here soon?
Put me together like a do it yourself kit?
Corrections possible.


Miniatuurouder

Je komt bij me en hoest bijna leeg.
Ik sus je: we lijden allemaal aan onszelf,
zo ben ik de beste van de minste moeders,

een vrouw die haar punten
niet krijgt verbonden
tot een tekening.

Of ik mee wil spelen?

Ik tel je tot tien in slaap
en verstop me achter je ooglid,
in het poppenhuis waar je nooit speelt.

Zal je me hier straks vinden?
Me als bouwpakket in elkaar zetten?
Correcties mogelijk.



*I discussed her for life
the daughter, who paints her colouring book
with lips that roll over questions:

may I live with you forever?
She runs in the jacket of a potato
around the table (and that is edgy),

bumps her head on the point
of my leg, comforts herself like an animal
in the embrace of my lame mother-body.

This Sunday’s child,
plays doctor with my common sense,
practices her handstand on everyone’s calmness.

Before we capsize
she roars:
I am upside down about you.


Ik heb haar voor het leven besproken,
de dochter, die haar kleurboek stift
met lippen die over vragen rollen:

mag ik altijd bij jullie wonen?
Ze rent in de jas van een aardappel
de tafel rond (en die is hoekig),

stoot haar hoofd aan de punt
Van mijn poot, troost zich als een dier
in de omarming van mijn manke moederlijf.

Dit zondagse kind,
speelt dokter met mijn gezond verstand,
oefent haar handstand op ieder kalmte.

Voor we kantelen
buldert ze nog:
Ik ben ondersteboven van jou.




Jana Arns (1983) is a musician, photographer and poet and these are never free from each other. As a musician Jana is connected to the ensemble Aranis that has been giving concerts for fifteen years. Her photographs have been exhibited and her poetry published in several poetry magazines.  ‘Status: het is ingewikkeld’* is her long expected first book of poetry, wherein she combines her talents of poetry and photography.

* This title refers to the relationship status possibility on facebook
 ‘it is complicated’.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten